The course is intended for: Seafaring personnel responsible for the handling of packaged
dangerous, hazardous and harmful cargoes aboard ships; and Shore-based personnel,
including Competent Authority and similar personnel responsible for dealing with the
transport of dangerous goods by a mode of transport (national or international) whose requirements are based on the United Nations Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods. The course includes, but is not limited to, classification, packaging, consignment procedures, loading and segregation. The course has been prepared in accordance with the guidance contained in section B-V/c of the STCW Code.
Objectives of the Course
A trainee successfully completing the course will be able to contribute to the preparation and execution of the safe carriage of dangerous goods and Marine Pollutants by sea, understand the regulations, the importance and the impact on safe handling and carriage of dangerous cargoes by sea.
The course covers all subject areas recommended by IMO Model Course 1.10 “Dangerous,
Hazardous and Harmful Cargoes”. The course is certified by Georgian Maritime
Duration of the training course
The duration of the Dangerous, Hazardous and Harmful Cargoes training course is 4 working
The Dangerous, Hazardous and Harmful Cargoes training course covers the following topics:
• Background and general introduction;
• IMO and dangerous goods;
• The IMDG Code;
• Classification. Physics and Chemistry;
• Classification. The UN System as Used by IMO;
• Classification. The IMDG Code classes;
• Packing and tank requirements;
• Construction and testing of packagings, IBCs and portable tanks;
• Consignment procedures;
• Limited and excepted quantities;
• Transport operations;
• IMDG Code supplement;
• Recommendations on the safe transport of dangerous cargoes and related activities in port areas;
• Updating the IMDG Code;
• Training requirements and security plans (upon request); (CFR 49/I/C/172/H/704 until 804/);
• Assessment and Discussion.
The maximum number of participants -20 persons.
To be assigned on Dangerous, Hazardous and Harmful Cargoes training course, participant
• National passport;
• Seamen’s book;
• National license or educational diploma.
Training approaches and equipment
During training course theoretical lessons are given using PowerPoint presentations, for
practical exercises participants can be placed into groups of six or eight people.